Skip to main content

Rainbow Butterfiles


Thought of finally taking a break to roll up my sleeves, blow the dust off the writing desk and sit and gather the fluttering paper rainbow butterflies and stick them to the book.


They’re around, just a catch away. The touch of the rainbow butterflies, oh boy ! they almost take my breath away. I kiss each one of them and stick them to the book. They’re mine and they’re beautiful. How I miss them !


The other day A shouted from her boat.
“Look, Look !”
I watched.
It was a bright one.
Bright ones are usually flapping around the boat, within my hand’s reach at anytime.
But this one was almost in the water.
Ah! May be the wind carried it down.
It twisted and turned. Turned and twisted.
It stood there for a moment, mustering all its strength to defy gravity, hoping that the eastern wind would carry it to me.
But it met its end, the frail paper and its seven colors.
It touched water. Did it shiver?
It floated for a brief second and faded.. into the blueness of the sea.
Before it vanished, did it grow eyes to look at me ?
I looked around for others. I saw them falling too. Like leaves in an autumn tree.
Soon it was dusk and I could see nothing.

They take birth everyday, the rainbow butterflies. When the dawn breaks I see them fluttering around my boathouse so energetically. They are of a million colors. Strange hues that I don’t even know the names of.
May be A might know. She knows so many things, so many strange esoteric secrets. When is she coming on to this boat ? I’ve made so much of space for her. Right out of nowhere I tell you. It is just magic.


Sometimes I wonder if they are new ones or the old ones reborn. I wish I could hold on to each one of them before they’re lost. At least then, I’d know whether they are new.
But they make everyday colorful.
A beautiful colorful day – may be that’s all that matters.


A loves them, these rainbow butterflies. I’ve stuck some of the beautiful ones to our Sycamore Tree. She’s stuck hers too. No wonder the tree is more colorful than green. And what more, it looks different from every angle. And it makes our island look different.

I wish I hadn’t lost them. My dear rainbow butterflies.
Now I know, it was my preoccupation with the fishes that cost me my rainbow butterflies. I made bigger nets and cast them wider to catch bigger fishes. Now I begin to wonder, are the fishes taking revenge? Are they eating the rainbow butterflies that I gave up to the sea ? Are they conspiring with the sea and the winds to gobble up my rainbow butterflies?

What do I do ?

Do I fight the fishes ?
Or safeguard my rainbow butterflies ?

Do I make bigger and bigger and bigger nets and capture all the fishes so that they might let my rainbow butterflies be ?
Or stop catching the fishes and tend to my rainbow butterflies ?

What if, after I travel across the sea and capture all the fishes, there are no rainbow butterflies left ?
What if, after I gather all my rainbow butterflies and make my boat colorful, I lose my strength to fish ?

Comments

Ash said…
In your soul are infinitely precious riches that cannot be taken away from you.

By labor we can find food and water, but all of our labor will not find for us another hour.

Popular posts from this blog

The Other World

"Ankle deep, he waded through the bluebells. His spirit rose and exalted... as he breathed in the sun-drenched air. The glorious day was in its last decline. Long shadows lay on the sward... and from above the leaves dripped their shimmering drops of gold-green light. Moths and butterflies swarmed in merry hosts... flittering here, glimmering there. But, hush. Could that be a deer?" When we were searching for "Tess of d'Urbervilles" in the library memories rushed in, almost overwhelming me.  Memories of school days when I would look at a bookshelf and see different worlds, when Hercule Poirot and Dirk Pitt and Sherlock Holmes loomed larger than life, when the reality of life was less real than those in books,  when my sadness and happiness and mood changes did not depend on what happened in the life I was living but in the lives of characters that I was closely following,  when even though the only place I had been to, other than Bangalore, that too occasionally

Through the testing glass

Surprise ! Surprise !! There is none who surprises himself more than me ! Am I a nerd? Far from it. Did I answer the questions wrong ? Nope. P had a single word answer for all unanswerable-incomprehensible questions - "Whatever !" He never knew they’d oppose so greatly to it. They were his close pals. He knew they’d tell things only for his benefit. But he’d made the decision already. Him - “Guys, I’ve signed up for MS.” K - “MS, you ? Robbie, you must be doing an MBA dude. That suits you more.” N - “MS doesn’t make sense to you at all.” T maintained silence. ** lot of talk/arguments for the next 2 hrs ** They were not the first ones. A lot of people had told him in the past to do MBA. He used to wonder – do they perceive him as a dumb techie ? did he actually have ‘it’ in him to be an MBA – to manage people, projects, to lead ? ugh ! he’d rather sit in a corner, read a book or just do the task that he’s assigned with. How could people perceive him as a person different from

Makar Chudra – Maxim Gorky

With no offence to gypsies , the name reminds me of some below-the-belt curse in hindi or Malayalam or tamil . some bad name ! but that particular fact would make me not forget this name. it’s stuck to my mind. The story starts with Makar , an aged gypsy conversing with the author. It is dark , the wind is heavy , the campfire is blazing furiously ..yet Makar , smoking his huge pipe , was unfazed. It was as though these heavy conditions never affected him.(reminds me of Vikram-Betal stories of chandamama ! it was dark , the night was heavy , yet Vikram was unfazed. He climbed the tree , pulled the corpse out . as he started walking away with it , the corpse on his shoulder came to life !!!) . Makar is of the opinion that people are born to travel; that there is nothing better than traveling. “ A curious lot people are ; they herd together trampling on each other when there is so much of space-” . he asks why a man should be ploughing a field . “ A man who ploughs land pours his streng