Skip to main content

Astral Blueberries


I’m lying flat on my back and looking at the open sky. It is clear. There are no stars. Only a single moon.
Is the queen of the night sky smiling at me ?
Or at the seabird sitting at the stern.
Or at her own beauty that is reflected by the sea ?
Well, at least I’m happy that she’s there and she’s smiling.

The seabird has been sitting there, at the pointed end of the boat, quietly, for hours now. She didn’t bring the astral blueberries this time. She couldn’t have forgotten for sure. May be she gave them to others on her way, ones who yearned for them more than I did. May be she traveled too long and couldn’t bring it this far. Had I come that far? In my quest to see new places, to uncover new truths, to discover new wonders, I’d rowed faster and faster towards exotic places in the far corners of the sea. Had I gone too far ?

The astral blueberries, the melodies that resonate my soul - I’ve almost forgotten their taste. Sometimes I feel I’m chewing on to one – one of those soft fleshy fruits which melt in my mouth and taste like honey .. and then suddenly wake up to find that there is nothing. I lick my lips and close my eyes – to feel the long lost taste. Renewing remembrances – those old songs – they do play a tug of war with my heart.
Ttime, time, time, take me back.

A seems to always have them. How does she manage? Maybe a singer always takes them along, in a tiny chest in some unknown corner. May be a singer has a bottomless bowl of astral blueberries. She threw one at me yesterday. I bent down to pick it up and I saw three more. Quite a magic! We ate them together.

I’m in need of them again

I am in need of music that would flow
Over my fretful, feeling fingertips,
Over my bitter-tainted, trembling lips,
With melody, deep, clear, and liquid-slow.
Oh, for the healing swaying, old and low,
Of some song sung to rest the tired dead,
A song to fall like water on my head,
And over quivering limbs, dream flushed to glow!

There is a magic made by melody:
A spell of rest, and quiet breath, and cool
Heart, that sinks through fading colors deep
To the subaqueous stillness of the sea,
And floats forever in a moon-green pool,
Held in the arms of rhythm and of sleep.

~ Elizabeth Bishop

Comments

Punit Pandey said…
Stumbled upon your blog while searching Ruskin Bond's "The Eyes Are Not Here". It is my favorite too.
Ash said…
I am in need of words
Flapping like birds
On distant hills; rhyming out of
My husband's fingertips

Exhilarating, healing
Sketching a symphony
Of feeling on a
Canvas of thin air!

There is magic in his tone
Pure stream hushing, cooling
Joyful, light, true, strong
All I desire, now nd ever!

Popular posts from this blog

The Other World

"Ankle deep, he waded through the bluebells. His spirit rose and exalted... as he breathed in the sun-drenched air. The glorious day was in its last decline. Long shadows lay on the sward... and from above the leaves dripped their shimmering drops of gold-green light. Moths and butterflies swarmed in merry hosts... flittering here, glimmering there. But, hush. Could that be a deer?" When we were searching for "Tess of d'Urbervilles" in the library memories rushed in, almost overwhelming me.  Memories of school days when I would look at a bookshelf and see different worlds, when Hercule Poirot and Dirk Pitt and Sherlock Holmes loomed larger than life, when the reality of life was less real than those in books,  when my sadness and happiness and mood changes did not depend on what happened in the life I was living but in the lives of characters that I was closely following,  when even though the only place I had been to, other than Bangalore, that too occasionally

Through the testing glass

Surprise ! Surprise !! There is none who surprises himself more than me ! Am I a nerd? Far from it. Did I answer the questions wrong ? Nope. P had a single word answer for all unanswerable-incomprehensible questions - "Whatever !" He never knew they’d oppose so greatly to it. They were his close pals. He knew they’d tell things only for his benefit. But he’d made the decision already. Him - “Guys, I’ve signed up for MS.” K - “MS, you ? Robbie, you must be doing an MBA dude. That suits you more.” N - “MS doesn’t make sense to you at all.” T maintained silence. ** lot of talk/arguments for the next 2 hrs ** They were not the first ones. A lot of people had told him in the past to do MBA. He used to wonder – do they perceive him as a dumb techie ? did he actually have ‘it’ in him to be an MBA – to manage people, projects, to lead ? ugh ! he’d rather sit in a corner, read a book or just do the task that he’s assigned with. How could people perceive him as a person different from

Makar Chudra – Maxim Gorky

With no offence to gypsies , the name reminds me of some below-the-belt curse in hindi or Malayalam or tamil . some bad name ! but that particular fact would make me not forget this name. it’s stuck to my mind. The story starts with Makar , an aged gypsy conversing with the author. It is dark , the wind is heavy , the campfire is blazing furiously ..yet Makar , smoking his huge pipe , was unfazed. It was as though these heavy conditions never affected him.(reminds me of Vikram-Betal stories of chandamama ! it was dark , the night was heavy , yet Vikram was unfazed. He climbed the tree , pulled the corpse out . as he started walking away with it , the corpse on his shoulder came to life !!!) . Makar is of the opinion that people are born to travel; that there is nothing better than traveling. “ A curious lot people are ; they herd together trampling on each other when there is so much of space-” . he asks why a man should be ploughing a field . “ A man who ploughs land pours his streng