Skip to main content

The Other World

"Ankle deep, he waded through the bluebells. His spirit rose and exalted... as he breathed in the sun-drenched air. The glorious day was in its last decline. Long shadows lay on the sward... and from above the leaves dripped their shimmering drops of gold-green light.
Moths and butterflies swarmed in merry hosts... flittering here, glimmering there.
But, hush. Could that be a deer?"

When we were searching for "Tess of d'Urbervilles" in the library memories rushed in, almost overwhelming me. 
Memories of school days when I would look at a bookshelf and see different worlds,
when Hercule Poirot and Dirk Pitt and Sherlock Holmes loomed larger than life,
when the reality of life was less real than those in books, 
when my sadness and happiness and mood changes did not depend on what happened in the life I was living but in the lives of characters that I was closely following, 
when even though the only place I had been to, other than Bangalore, that too occasionally, was Pathanamthitta in Kerala, I felt as thought I'd really travelled allover the world - London, New York, Paris, Venice, Rome, you name it .. and not only to the 21st century versions of foreign lands but also in the 20, and 19th and 18th and 17th and even backwards into the past even though I seemed to linger more in the 17th and18th century country side England.

I haven't seen a movie that showed this more clearly than Howards End. The passage at the beginning of this post is from the movie when Leonard Bast gets lost completely in what he is reading. 

Well, why "Tess " ? Why were we searching for Tess ? A was channel surfing and accidentally halted at a channel which was airing "Tess of d'Urbevilles - Part 1". Sometimes I think my zeal to tell a story runs ahead of me and I tell the important points, mainly glorifying the best aspects beyond what they are.  I've pumped so much of awe and mystery around my favourite novels, mostly "Kane and Abel", "The Godfather", "The Bourne Identity", "Atlas Shrugged" .. , that most of my friends did read them eventually. Sometimes I feel if you praise something so much, the person who is listening to you almost feels obliged to try that at least to make you happy.
But to be fair to her, she saw the movie for sometime and actually liked it. Luckily the channel did not air part 2 and I wasn't ready to tell her the ending. Only mentioned that it was a tragedy. 
For long, I've been wanting her to read "The Return of the Native" (I think I've told her the story of the novel twice already) and other novels of Hardy. Afterall, he was my fav author at one time.  For now she's said she has to read Tess. Ah ! so be it. 

 

Comments

Ash said…
Someone who has read a lots of books makes a very interesting companion :) The added perk is bedtime stories :)

” The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries.”
- Descartes
ravwe said…
You should continue blogging... why such a long break... time to get back my friend...
Anonymous said…
Kollallo :)
Anonymous said…
Ankle deep, he waded through the bluebells. His spirit rose and exalted... as he breathed in the sun-drenched air. The glorious day was in its last decline. Long shadows lay on the sward... and from above the leaves dripped their shimmering drops of gold-green light.
Moths and butterflies swarmed in merry hosts... flittering here, glimmering there.
But, hush. Could that be a deer?"
Who wrote this please?

Popular posts from this blog

Through the testing glass

Surprise ! Surprise !! There is none who surprises himself more than me ! Am I a nerd? Far from it. Did I answer the questions wrong ? Nope. P had a single word answer for all unanswerable-incomprehensible questions - "Whatever !" He never knew they’d oppose so greatly to it. They were his close pals. He knew they’d tell things only for his benefit. But he’d made the decision already. Him - “Guys, I’ve signed up for MS.” K - “MS, you ? Robbie, you must be doing an MBA dude. That suits you more.” N - “MS doesn’t make sense to you at all.” T maintained silence. ** lot of talk/arguments for the next 2 hrs ** They were not the first ones. A lot of people had told him in the past to do MBA. He used to wonder – do they perceive him as a dumb techie ? did he actually have ‘it’ in him to be an MBA – to manage people, projects, to lead ? ugh ! he’d rather sit in a corner, read a book or just do the task that he’s assigned with. How could people perceive him as a person different from

Makar Chudra – Maxim Gorky

With no offence to gypsies , the name reminds me of some below-the-belt curse in hindi or Malayalam or tamil . some bad name ! but that particular fact would make me not forget this name. it’s stuck to my mind. The story starts with Makar , an aged gypsy conversing with the author. It is dark , the wind is heavy , the campfire is blazing furiously ..yet Makar , smoking his huge pipe , was unfazed. It was as though these heavy conditions never affected him.(reminds me of Vikram-Betal stories of chandamama ! it was dark , the night was heavy , yet Vikram was unfazed. He climbed the tree , pulled the corpse out . as he started walking away with it , the corpse on his shoulder came to life !!!) . Makar is of the opinion that people are born to travel; that there is nothing better than traveling. “ A curious lot people are ; they herd together trampling on each other when there is so much of space-” . he asks why a man should be ploughing a field . “ A man who ploughs land pours his streng